VidZ

Loading...

Friday, November 2, 2012

MC the Burn Out King

Have you ever heard of burn out before? It is a term that is often used in caring professions to describe the deflated sense of helplessness that overtakes the helpers. For the past month, I have been feeling very strange. I have been feeling quite anxious, overwhelmed and feel like I have been falling behind on the things that are expected of me. This feeling of burn out is chasing me in my paid work, in my volunteer work, and in my work as someone who is regularly in the public eye. It also creeps into my social life, with my friends family and other personally important relationships.
This is an example of the items I worry about on a daily basis...Does this look like your life?!!? you need some SELF CARE!!
When you burn out (and I have done so many a time before) it often comes because you, as the helper, are not taking care of yourself. Our ability to help others is entirely dependant on our own ability to take care of ourselves. If we do not take deliberate measures to take care of ourselves, than we are not going to be able to take care of others.

Burn Out King

I call myself the burn out kind, because I think that I burn out at least once a year. I over work, over schedule and over demand of myself to give to others. I actually help out, volunteer and give so freely of my time because I am very unhappy with the current realities of our little North End Community. Also, I am very unhappy with the way the media is perpetrated. Also am very stressed out by the failings of the institutions that are intended to help us.

But I have the Power to Change that!!

Because of this large unhappiness, I use my ANTI-BULLY approach and do it the AYO way: by getting involved. If something makes you unhappy, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I have said that before many times and for that reason, I have become involved in so many community initiatives, started many community initiatives, sit on many councils and have been able to do so with a smile.

But you gotta Balance

I am here to get it off my chest: I CAN'T SMILE ALL THE TIME!! Sometimes I need to hide in my bed, not answer my phone and just do nothing.

Other things that help me:

  • asking others for help
  • listening to HOPEFUL music
  • getting myself organized
  • smudging
  • having a coffee
  • doing push ups
  • eating soup
  • playing practical jokes

So, this weekend, I am going to a youth sweat on Saturday to hopefully clear my mind a little bit and get some motivation to continue with all of the important activities that are coming in the community in November. On sunday i am gonna visit my brother in Stoney Mountain, but after that...Sunday evening, is going to be a "Michael Chill the heck out and do nothing" time. I have to schedule it in to my activities so I can actually sit down lol.

Self care homies, I am trying to share my example because I do not want this to happen to you!!

with love

MC

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the idea of the the Michael chill the heck out and do nothing time! You deserve it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

North End MC

My Photo
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Representin the North End of Winnipeg since 1987. I will share my journey tryna set an example and live a proud Cree life. I'll include my challenges and feelings and progress in terms of AYO! Aboriginal Youth Opportunities. You(th) are the reason.
There was an error in this gadget